RIVERSIDE -- With the No. 2 doubles set deciding the team match, the Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) Vaqueros edged the host Riverside City College (RCC) Tigers women's tennis team, 5-4, in a non-conference match at the Fran Bushman Tennis Courts on the RCC campus.
Riverside City (1-1 overall) saw frosh Nani Nguyen (Riverside - La Sierra HS) won at No. 5 singles and then teamed with sophomore teammate Ashley Bauman (Riverside / Arlington HS) to win at No. 3 doubles to pace the Tigers.
Riverside returns to action on Tuesday, Feb. 7, when it hosts Hope International University in a non-conference match at 2 p.m.
California Community College Women's Tennis
Non-Conference Dual Match
Santa Barbara City College at Riverside City College
Thursday, February 2, 2017
1. Hana Papaco (RCC) def. Brenna Casey (SBCC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Laura Berther (SBCC) def. Gaby Ante (RCC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ellia Rosado (RCC) def. Tyler Bunderson (SBCC) 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
4. Lesly Zapata De Lira (SBCC) def. Ashley Bauman (RCC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Nani Nguyen (RCC) def. Paige Jensen (SBCC) 5-7, 7-6(5), 10-6
6. Julianna Adelman (SBCC) def. Rajina Schlitt (RCC) 7-5, 6-2
2. Julianna Adelman/Laura Berther (SBCC) def. Gabi Ante/Rajina Schlitt (RCC) 8-4
3. Ashley Bauman/Nani Nguyen (RCC) def. Tyler Bunderson/Paige Jensen (SBCC) 8-3
Santa Barbara City College 5, at Riverside City College 4
Santa Barbara City College: Overall: 1-0, Western State Conf.: 0-0;
Riverside City College: Overall: 1-1, Orange Empire Conf.: 0-0;