RIVERSIDE -- Sweeping all three doubles matches and winning five of six singles matches, the 2017 Riverside City College (RCC) Tigers men's tennis team logged an 8-1 non-conference win over the visiting Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) Vaqueros Thursday (Feb. 2) at the Fran Bushman Tennis Courts on the RCC campus.
Riverside City (3-0 overall) was paced by freshman James Andra (Riverside - Arlington HS), who won at No. 1 singles also won at No. 3 doubles with partner, sophomore Trent Harris (Riverside - Poly HS) - who is pictured - and also won at No. 6 singles.
RCC is ranked seventh in Southern California which mirrors last season's final ranking of seventh in the region. The Tigers also are ranked tenth in the state.
SBCC (0-1 overall) won at No. 2 singles.
The Tigers return to the courts on Friday, Feb. 3, when they host the Glendale College Vaqueros for a non-conference match which begins at 2 p.m.
California Community College Men's Tennis
Non-Conference Dual Match
Santa Barbara City College at Riverside City College
Thursday, February 2, 2017
1. Sami Akouz/Thierry van Os (RCC) def. Spencer Ekola/Emerson Sekban (SBCC) 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. James Andra (RCC) def. Emerson Sekban (SBCC) 7-6(5), 0-6, 10-5
2. Spencer Ekola (SBCC) def. Sami Akouz (RCC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Thierry van Os (RCC) def. Stevie Acuna (SBCC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Grady Harrell (RCC) def. Adolfo Ortega (SBCC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ryan Cala (RCC) def. Dim Dros (SBCC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Trent Harris (RCC) def. Jack Zhao (SBCC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 2, 6, 1;
Final Score: at Riverside City College 8, Santa Barbara City College 1
Riverside City College: Overall: 3-0, Orange Empire Conf.: 0-0
Santa Barbara City College: Overall: 0-1, Western State Conf.: 0-0